Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Detour deluxe whey protein energy bar











I had high hopes for these bars, I mean just look at the photos on the box and on the wrappers of the bars themselves! Then look at my photo of the actual bar. Hum..a little different than the one on the box. If this bar actually had as many peanuts and as much caramel as they show on their packaging, it would be a lot better tasting. I was also pretty excited because this bar has 15 grams of protein and only 16 grams of carbohydrates! Pretty good especially when you consider it only has 180 calories and 6 grams of fat. It has been very hard for me to find protein bars that are under 280 calories that have this close of a protein to carbohydrate ratio. Usually the bars in this calorie range (especially from Walmart where these came from)have way more carbohydrates grams than they do protein grams. Lilith liked these bars, although she did have a sort of confused expression while eating the two bites I let her have. She kept asking for more however. I am not a big nougat fan and this bar really tastes like nougat. If you like nougat, then you should give this bar a try. Husband found it at Walmart and said it wasn't too expensive in the 6 bar pack. He didn't really like it though. Each bar contains 2 grams of fiber, 6 grams of sugar,and almost no vitamins. Sad that once you find a bar that has a good protein to carbohydrate ratio (preferably more protein than carbohydrates or in this bars case, at least very close to equal), it is often devoid of any other nutrients. I guess that is the main reason we shouldn't try to rely on protein bars and shakes as our only food source once we are able to eat sold foods again. It is easy to slip into eating 2-3 protein bars or shakes a day after this surgery. I know myself as well as husband are both guilty of this. I try to make sure that we have a lest one "meal" a day, usually dinner. I also like to include berries and other fruits that don't have too much of a glycemic impact in my shakes. But bottom line, it is probably impossible to get many of your nutrients from shakes and bars, no matter how hard you try.

No comments: