Friday, April 25, 2008

Which is the healthier toddler carbohydrate snack?



Gerber Graduates finger foods in Apple Wagon Wheels which gives you 3 pieces (7 grams) for 25 calories (15 mgs of sodium, 6 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of sugar, 4% of the RDA of calcium, 10% of the RDA of Iron, Vitamin E, and Zinc) To equal the average of 30 grams per servings of the other snacks being compared, you need to multiply all of these numbers times 4 which would give you; 28 grams per serving (12 pieces) at 100 calories with 60 mgs of sodium, 24 grams of carbohydrates, 4 grams of sugar, etc. These are my least favorite as they are basically chemically and salt enhanced air. They have no nutritional benefit that I can see, ironically these (and the other variety below) are specifically marketed for toddlers.


Nabisco Teddy Grahams graham snacks in Honey which gives you 24 pieces (30 grams) for 130 calories (4 grams of fat {1 gram of fat is saturated}, 150 mgs of sodium, 23 grams of carbohydrates, 1 gram of fiber, 7 grams of sugar, 2 grams of protein, 10% of the RDA of calcium, 4% of the RDA of Iron.


Gerber Graduates for toddlers crackers in Veggie which gives you 10 crackers (7grams) for 30 calories (1 gram of fat, 40mgs of sodium, 5 grams of sodium, 5 grams of carbohydrates, less than 1 gram of sugar, less than 1 grams of protein, 10% of RDA of Vitamin E, Zinc, Calcium, and Iron) To equal the almost 30 grams in the servings of the other products listed you really need to multiply these Numbers times 4 (giving you a serving of 40 crackers at 120 calories, 4 grams of fat, 160 grams of sodium, 20 grams of carbohydrates, etc)


Pepperidge Farm Goldfish Baked Snack Crackers made with Whole Grain which give you 55 pieces (or 30 grams) for 140 calories (5 grams of fat {1 gram is saturated fat}, 250mgs of sodium, 19 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber, less than 1 gram of sugar, 4 grams of protein, 4% of the RDA of calcium, and 6% of the RDA of Iron. It also contains less than 5mgs of cholesterol.)


Gen soy (creamy Ranch Flavor)soy crisps which give you 17 crisps or 28 grams for 120 calories (3 grams of fat, 270 grams of sodium, 15 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber, 1 gram of sugar, 7 grams of of protein, 10% of the RDA of calcium and iron, 2% of the RDA of Vitamins A and C)
Which one do you think is best?
I have to add to this post since I received a few comments on Quixotic WLS asking why I would want to give my child carbohydrates. One poster even asked why I didn't just give her doughnuts or brownies. In my opinion it is dangerous and unrealistic to ignore an entire food group in a growing childs diet. Whole grains and healthy breads are not nutritionally devoid (fat and sugar loaded)like doughnuts or brownies. As a child growing up in a home where both parents have had weight loss surgery and both dump on pasta and breads, the only breads, pastas, and most grains Lilith has exposure to, are the ones we make and or provide just for her. What would happen when she got old enough to realize that other children have breads and pastas in their homes and diets if I were to follow idea that she doesn't need them and therefore didn't provide them for her? Would she horde and crave them? Would she shun them? I don't know. That is why I am trying to find and provide health carbohydrates for her now. She gets plenty of fruits and veggies but as I said before, you can't ignore a whole food group in a growing childs diet and think that is okay. Your brain needs carbohydrates to function and to develop. You need them for energy. I also wouldn't raise her VEGAN either for the same reasons but that is just me and my parenting beliefs.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Alaska neighbor! I'm not sure I like any of the choices 100%, but as an occasional treat I don't think any of them are terrible, just not something I'd offer on a daily basis. Are you set on the snack being a refined carbohydrate as opposed to another source of carbohydrates, like fresh fruit? I'm leary of giving children much Soy due to the heavy phytoestrogen levels so we only offer soy crisps or soy nuts on rare occasions. We do offer organic fruit leather (no sugar added of course, lol), portable fruits and veggi's, whole grain crackers and breads, and granola daily!! I also make snack bars about twice a month and pop them in the freezer for easilt portable snacks. then I know just what is in them.

I hope the weather where you are is nicer than here, its SNOWING AGAIN, Blah!!

Kari