Friday, April 25, 2008

Payday Pro High Protein Energy Bar






So yesterday I did a review of a Zone bar and was told that most post weight loss surgery patients shouldn't even consider a bar that has more carbohydrates than protein. I wasn't going to review this bar as I consider it "candy" but to be fair, it comes closer to the carbohydrate vs protein formula mentioned above and it has less sugar (13 grams) than many of the bars that are marketed as "protein" or "healthy, nutrition packed bars". For example; the bars of death (only one person wrote me and told me that she actually liked 1 of the flavors of these bars where several others wrote me to tell me their dumping stories about them)aka Premier Nutritions high protein bars have 10 grams of sugar,30 grams of protein and 25 grams of carbohydrates. Zone perfect bars in Chocolate peanut butter flavor have 17 grams of sugar, 25 grams of carbohydrates and 14 grams of protein. Iss Oh Yeah protein Wafer in Chocolate Chocolate have 2 grams of sugar, 8 grams of carbohydrates and 14 grams of protein. South Beach Living crispy meal bar in caramel peanut flavor has 1 gram of sugar (it also has 18 grams of sugar alcohol), 19 grams of protein and 26 grams of carbohydrates. Gnc Pro performance Pro crunch lite in cinnamon bun flavor has 8 grams of sugar, 12 grams of protein and 15 grams of carbohydrates.
I am trying to give you an idea of what is out there so you can see (especially if you are new to weight loss surgery) just how many bars don't follow that rule (carbohydrates lower than the protein). Sure there are some that do but I find that you really have to look for them and when you find them, some are loaded with sugar (or sugar alcohols) or taste horrible. Is there such a thing as a perfect low carb, low sugar, high protein bar that isn't super expensive, and is palatable? If you know of one, please feel free to comment or contact me to let me know about it. I would love to try it and review it. Okay on to my review of the Payday Pro bar....
These are very tasty. They are readily available (most grocery stores have them in my area) they have 240 calories, 12 grams of fat (2 grams are saturated), 5 mgs of cholesterol, 140 mgs of sodium, 19 grams of carbohydrates, 2 grams of fiber, 13 grams of sugar, 15 grams of protein, 25% of the RDA of Vitamins C, E, B6, B12, Zinc, Iodine, Pantothenic acid, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate, Biotin, and Thiamin. It has 20% of the RDA of vitamin A and Calcium. It has 4% of the RDA of Iron and manganese, It also has 2% of the RDA of magnesium. Will this bar make some people dump, probably. It isn't for everyone. It doesn't make me or husband dump. It is chewy, salty with just a little sweet. It travels well as there is no coating to flake off or wafer to break into a million pieces. I think they average $1 each (Alaska prices) most places. I have only seen them sold as individual bars. They have a lot more vitamins and minerals than plenty of the other bars out there too. Are they perfect? no. Are they tasty and easy to find, yes. You decide. They also don't have any sugar alcohol, which has made me dump!

No comments: