Monday, July 13, 2009

Celebrating a promotion at Namaste Shangri-la Restaurant


I had heard my coworkers raving about this place so I was looking for any excuse to try it. I finally got one today when I "officially" signed the paper work accepting my new full time day position. Sure, I've technically been working the position for 3 months now but now that it is "official", my benefits change from part time to full time and that translates to a savings of $148.00 a month on the health insurance alone. I think that calls for a celebration don't you?
We left Lilith's school and head to;
Namaste Shangri-la Restaurant - serving Burmese, Nepali, Indian, and Tibetan food.It is located at; 2442 E. Tudor in the same strip mall as Primal Tatoo, and an AT&T store.
The restaurant is small but quaint. The cup of chai tea that I had was amazing. We ordered;
Papri chaat $6.95
Fried whole wheat crisps topped with medley of chick pea, potatoes, yogurt, chutney and Indian spices. Served cold.
followed by;
Saag panneer $10.99
Home made cottage cheese cooked in a mildly spiced spinach sauce.
(ordered with Lilith in mind but she wanted nothing to do with it even though we thought it was wonderful!)
Lamb vindaloo: $12.99
Lamb cooked in a fiery hot vinegar sauce with Indian spices. A traditional Anglo Indian dish. (my Chile relleno of the Indian world, meaning the dish that I order at every Indian restaurant and judge the restaurant by how well they do it) I loved it but my stupid temporary bridge wouldn't allow me to chew the lamb so I had very little of it.
Will had a combination dish of lamb, chicken and shrimp kabobs with sides of mint and mango chutney.
Then we all shared an order of;
Saipatri kulfi $5.25
A homey, old fashioned Indian style ice cream, with a slightly chewy texture and sweet
creamy taste. (we totally shouldn't have ordered this as it was too sweet for us but it was soooo good. Lilith LOVED it. It made Will sick after we got home however as he ate most of it)
All in all it was worth the $60+ we spent as we brought home tons of leftovers. We didn't eat any of the rice so I can't tell you if it was good or bad but, Lilith tried some of it and seemed to like it. Maybe I will even be able to eat more lamb after my dentist appointment Wednesday.
I really do recommend the restaurant. It also has a ton of vegetarian dishes!
See their menu here!

No comments: