Thursday, April 17, 2008

GNC Mega Men preformance & Vitality vitapacks











I purchased these at GNC for my husband. It was approximately $50 for a thirty day supply. They are basically; 2 mega men multivitamins packaged with an omega complex gelatin capsule, 2 whole oat capsules, one prostate formula softgel, virility formulal caplet, and two capsules of arginine in each daily vitapack. Yes, folks that is a total of 9 pills/caplets/softgels/ huge horse pills each day!!! My husband is able to tolerate these huge pills but I am not sure many post op wls patients would be able to. I personally think taking 9 of anything each and everyday for the rest of my life is pretty unrealistic for me. I have a hard enough time trying to remember to take my thyroid medication everyday much less the prenatal vitamins I was recommended by the nutritionist (I will review them soon). As for his energy, it seems to be up. He says he feels a little better on them and his labs are way better than mine in the vitamin department so they must be helping. I just don't know if a $50.00/ 9 pill a day habit is practical for everyone. Can we really utilize 500% of our daily vitamin C capacity? what about 3333% of Thiamin, or 2941% of riboflavin (vitamin B-2)? It does have 950 mcgs of lutein which is very good for diabetics and 50 mcgs of vitamin B-12 (833%) which all post wls patients need. It has 120 mgs of DHA, 180mgs of EPA (both are heart healthy omega 3's which are especially important if you don't eat much fish or flax seeds)and 30mgs of GLA (omega 6 that helps regulate triglyceride levels). It has 100 mgs of horney goat weed powder, guess this is the "sexual health" part of the formula?!? It does only contain 20% of the daily recommended Calcium (200mgs) and only 50% of the daily recommended Vitamin D (200iu. I guess this is one of the bigest difference between the woman's multivitamin and the mens. For the men reading this out there, you are far more susceptible to bone and joint deterioration after weight loss surgery than an average man because of the malabsorption issues so you might want to beef up your calcium even if you are taking a "man's" multivitamin.

No comments: