Saturday, March 17, 2007

clear liquids for 48 hours then NPO at midnight



I had to start Metamucil today and continue it till and possibly after my surgery Tuesday. I am suppose to start the stool softener Sunday and I will most likely be on it for awhile. My husband and I went to GNC and spent $100+ on Isopure a clear liquid protein drink, that I pray doesn't taste too awful. That I start on Sunday and will continue for up to 6 weeks post op. The woman at the GNC asked me if I was having weight loss surgery. This leads me to believe that either A. I really look like I need weight loss surgery (which indeed feels like the case lately)or B. only people having weight loss surgery buy Isopure which really makes me worry about the taste of the stuff (I will let you know Sunday). I purchased two huge jugs at about $50 each (one dutch chocolate and the other in pine orange banana) and six premixed bottles (alpine punch, blue raspberry, passion fruit, mango peach, and apple melon) at about $3 each. They look like designer fruit juice/ water (think SoBE) I guess I can start carrying those around instead of my usual diet coke. I shall mourn my good friend Mr. diet coke, my buddy, my pal. I think I will miss it more than sweets. Monday night and Tuesday morning I get to scrub with an iodine soap. I will probably be doing this at 5 am on Tuesday morning as I have to check into the hospital at 8am for my 11 am surgery. We have to pack Monday as well since I will be in the hospital 3 days and Will and Lilith will be there for at least the first night and possibly more. I am glad Lilith has her peapod (portable baby sleeper tent). I was told in advance to ask for a single room otherwise I might end up with a roomie (who might not want a baby sleeping across the room).
The Isopure has 160 calories per 20oz (premixed single serving bottle), no carbs, no fat, no sugar, 40 grams of protein, 80mg of sodium, 45mg potassium, and 55mg of calcium. Sounds yummy huh? It's first listed ingredient is filtered water.
I will only have the ability to hold 2oz at a time after my surgery so I think the tubs of Isopure should last a long time. I am also only allowed 3 meals a day. I have heard that is takes up to an hour or more to eat the 2oz meals at first. They don't want you to have any liquids with your meals as it can fill you up faster and/ or help push the food thru faster allowing you to eat more. You aren't suppose to drink for an hour after eating also. No carbonated drinks at all after surgery either. You can be on clear liquids for as long as 6 weeks, then full liquids (think milk, opaque juices, and broths), then puree (just think I can eat left over Lilith food as she will be on more solids by then and I can eat her unopened baby food!), and finally solids. Too bad Lilith can't tell me which baby food tastes the best. In spite of all of the hoops and years of trying, and even with the two days before my surgery being clear liquid days (heck I wonder how many obese people cheat on those preop days!), I still am happy that I am doing this. I really do think this is the answer for me. I know it isn't my unicorn (the magical answer to all of my problems and dreams) but I know that it is a tool that when I use it as it is intended (and I certainly do after all of this waiting and hoping for it), will help me become the healthier and more confident person that I haven't been in a long time. I can't wait.

No comments: