Monday, November 03, 2008

Death by hot wing!



read more about life after weight loss surgery here!
http://astore.amazon.com/luvsexsraving-20/detail/0976767287
I am not sure if these are indeed the hottest wings in town but they sure are the last hot wings I will be having for a long time..that is if I ever have hot wings again after last nights experience. Should we be eating hot wings post op? prob. not but then I am not perfect and I do occasionally eat something that I know isn't exactly "good" for me. I don't intentionally eat things that I know are going to make me sick however. I really didn't think 4-5 wings was going to be that bad for me as a meal considering the fact that I didn't use any dipping sauce. I was very wrong however. I was sick for hours. (This is gross but true) I vomited for hours, I thought I was vomiting flaming internal organs after awhile it was so bad. The wings weren't greasy so I can only guess it was the skin that made me so very ill. Usually chicken is the one meat that I can always count on tolerating well. Beef and ham are always a toss up (no pun intended) as to whether they will make me sick or not, sad but true. I have been craving a good steak lately too and I was even given a gift card to the local Cattle Company by one of my employers but the fear of being ill in a public bathroom has kept me from using it. This is something that I rarely hear or see post ops discuss. For you newbies out there, Yes, you will get sick and you will be taking a chance with certain foods for the rest of your post op life. It's a part of the trade off for the healthier and slimmer new you post op. There are also a few kinds of possible sick you can get from food post op, 1. you vomit, sometimes it's right away (as in making a tripping over the cat, toddler pushing out of the way, baby gate hurdling to make it to the sink in time kind of vomiting experience) or it can be the hours of pouch pain and foamy belching till you finally vomit naturally (gee, I wish I would vomit and just get it over with)or with a little help (I have only had to do this once and it was because I had to go to work and I was afraid to vomit there, great way to start your shift huh!). 2. you have diarrhea, sometimes it takes awhile after eating (this can either be proceeded by horrible gas or the kind with cramps that have you biting your lip to keep from crying out in agony followed by some violent intestinal evacuation, kind). 3. the high blood sugar dump where you have heart palpitations, headache, visual disturbances (white halos for me), and a feverish feeling. 4. blood sugar crash after eating (read; a dumping we will go on this blog for my worst experience with this ) where you feel tired and sluggish and your brain gets fuzzy. Yes, this surgery does come with a few drawbacks. What did you think?, you would go in and have this surgery and the weight would fall off (and stay off forever) with little or no effort from you and eventually you could go back to your old eating habits and everything would be just fine. Sorry, no. I am surprised how many people really honestly think that. I had another NURSE ask me when I could go back to eating the way I did before (this was after I had to go vomit in the staff bathroom, lovely huh?). I told her, "Well I suppose when I want to go back to looking and weighing what I did before". She replied, "Well, I thought this surgery was suppose to make you thin?! I though you had this surgery and the weight just came off". So I went on to explain the rules of the tool (see the post; how to be a good weight loss surgery patient for more on that) and the fact that you are always at risk for regain post op. She didn't like that and said she would never consider having weight loss surgery now. So do I feel bad that I "talked" someone that could have greatly benefited from wls out of it? No, because she wouldn't have been a good candidate anyway, she wanted the magic cure/ pill/ formula that would make her magically thin without requiring any lifestyle changes or real effort on her part. Sadly there are people out there that do get wls and end up having a rude awakening post operative. That is why you should do your research. You would research a contractor or architect before you let them remodel your house where you plan on living for at least a few years right? Why wouldn't you research a surgical procedure that is going to totally remodel your body were you have to live for the rest of your life? Having said all of that, I still am very thankful that I had my surgery, and that my husband did too. No, we don't have bread, pasta, potatoes, cookies, regular chips, cookies, cake, etc, etc anymore but we have such a better quality of life and our daughter has parents that can run and play with her now. That is better than any plate of spaghetti.read a dumping we will go here!
read how to be a good weight loss surgery patient here!
most importantly read life changes here!

2 comments:

Jessa said...

People should also know that there are people that can never ever cheat or indulge at all. I am one of those people, I have severe dumping syndrome and I can never eat anything that I am not supposed to, I will absolutely get sick every single time. There are even foods out there that are considered healthy that still make me sick, like fruit for example, the natural sugars make me dump. Thanks for the good post, its not all sunshine and rainbows for everyone.

Turtle_gurl said...

Hey there! This is MassageGoddess Amelia from Youtube. Just wanted to say that the craving for hot wings is strong with me too, but I never eat chicken unless it is ground chicken because all it takes is one seriously bad exerience to ruin it for you. I do have a solution though... I take ground chicken and use my food scale to make 1 ounce nuggets that i have my hubby grill out on the grill outside and I have him baste them with the hotwing sauce and I can't believe its not butter spray and it is super yummy, takes care of the craving and i don't get sick! Hope that helps!

ameliadanielledavis@hotmail.com