Wednesday, June 18, 2008

more on carnie wilson's new reality show

I posted this on the message board after my post about Carnie turned into a huge flame war about post op regain. I too am not sure how I feel about her being the chef on this new show. I am very curious to see if her recipes will be weight loss surgery friendly. I am considering buying her cookbook although I have been told that the recipes AREN'T weight loss surgery friendly. I am hopeful that the recipes on the show will be however. This could be a great opportunity for her to showcase some healthy recipes that still taste great to people that are not post op weight loss surgery!
She was being made fun of on Chelsey Lately for being the new queen of reality television, that is how I first heard of the new show. I agree she has to work and if reality television is paying the bills, then who are we to judge. Obviously people are watching it, I know I will, or she wouldn't keep getting offers to do more.

Post Date: 6/18/08 12:32 pm
gee, I had no idea when I posted this that I would open such a can of worms. I must thank Carnie Wilson for my current situation, post op weight loss surgery, down over 100 pounds, married to a man who also post op weight loss surgery is CURED of type 2 diabetes (his fasting pro op blood sugars were over 300 on Metformin, his triglyceride's were 1500, the highest I had ever seen, this is also while he was on medication) now his cholest. is healthy and he is off all meds. I live in Alaska after taking a drastic leap of faith and leaving everyone and everything we knew to drive here in a VW bug with our infant daughter and 3 cats. (I would have never had the courage to do that pre op) I am in the process of making a drastic career change and going back to school. I always swore I wouldn't be one of those women that let my weight issues keep me from living a normal life and following my dreams but now I realize it was. I read both of Carnies books pre op and post op. I also reviewed one for my blog. She struggled with addiction and weight issues her whole life, she was very honest about this in both of her books. She even titled her second book (written after her weight loss surgery) "Still Hungry". She is very clear in that book that weight loss surgery isn't a magic cure, that you still have to work with your food issues everyday. She talks about this and the high rate of transfer addictions post weight loss surgery. She was on Oprah talking about it also. I really thank those two books for informing me about the honest realities of weight loss surgery. Most of the books I have read about it are either so technical and written with impossible medical language (I am a nurse and I found some very hard to read), or are so super positive that they don't even hint at a possibility of failure. I have tried to include the more realistic and down to earth books about weight loss surgery on my blog, including hers. Just think of it this way, she could have easily went into hiding after she started to regain. Lots of celebs do. She could have blamed the surgery and said it failed her, she didn't. she said it was her own issues and not paying attention to her eating that made her regain. She is accepting responsibility and being honest. You have to respect that a little don't you? I hope that you will read at least her second book, Still Hungry. It will help you once you are over a year out. This surgery doesn't fix your mind. What ever issues, insecurities, coping mechanisms, you had before surgery are still going to be with you after surgery. We had a woman that came to speak to our pre op surgery group that was considered a "failure". She said she had been over weight all her life. She said that when she was over 400 pounds (she was 5'2" I think) and the guy didn't like her, she couldn't make friends, she didn't get the job, or she didn't fit in, she always blamed her weight. Then she had the surgery and lost over 200 pounds and the guy still didn't like her, she still couldn't make friends, still didn't fit in, and still didn't get the job. She said she couldn't blame her weight anymore and realized it must be "her" that was the problem and the surgery had taken away the one thing that gave her pleasure, eating. She dumped on dairy post op so she sat on the toilet and ate ice cream. Is that an extreme example? yes but it also proves a point. Her coping mechanism had always been eating and she never did the work to change it so when she started to have stress post op, she went right back to it. It also shows that this surgery isn't the magic cure for all that ails you in your life. I hope you understand that many of us have this surgery after a lifetime of weight issues and all of the emotional baggage that goes with it, Carnie and myself included. If this isn't you also, then you are very lucky and hopefully you won't deal with having to find a new coping mechanism, transfer addiction, or regain as statistically most post op patients do.

No comments: