Friday, September 12, 2008

Dr. Snyder's Full Bar



Those of you that know my back story know that I fought for over 5 years to get approved for gastric bypass surgery. I asked everyone that I met who had either had the surgery themselves or worked with patients who had had the surgery about the physician that preformed the surgery. I received glowing positives about one physician in particular, this was Dr. Snyder. So I went to his seminar. I expected a hard sell or even a perfect picture painted of the whole process, I made up my mind that if either happened, I would keep looking. Yes, out came bunches of post ops that were successful, um hum, flowers and sunshine pretty picture being painted...then some unsuccessful post ops came out. Wait, he is admitting this surgery isn't for everyone?! I was thoroughly engaged. Then they started to talk about all of the classes that you had to attend both preop and post op. They honestly expected to have to teach you how to eat like a healthy person! Wow! They didn't just slice and dice you and send you out the door. Then he talked about fighting the insurance companies to make sure you could stay a full THREE DAYS!!! in the hospital and longer if you need it! Working in health care, I knew how rare that was! Then I actually met him and he was very charismatic (I had already heard this from several people before I saw it for myself) and I hit him with some questions and he smilingly indulged me. I had found my surgeon. I applied with my first insurance and was denied, then I changed at my next open enrollment and did the required six month physician supervised weight loss program (Optifast) and I lost tons of weight and was a size 6 till I ate a salad, was denied, and gained it all back within 2 years. I tried with another insurance and was denied. I tried with my fourth insurance and found they had an exclusion. I got pregnant and got to 330+ pounds. I tried with my husbands insurance (this was the first insurance that I had tried with that wasn't tied to a hospital or clinic that I was working for, he worked for a publishing firm at the time) and was approved within two weeks. Through all of my denials, Dolly at Dr. Snyder's office and Dr. Snyder himself were very supportive. They continued to write letters and make calls on my behalf. Dr. Snyder was so supportive and informative during my preop visits that my husband decided to have surgery with him also even though he had a BMI of close to 35, Dr. Snyder was able to get him approved due to his out of control diabetes and all of his comorbidity's. He promised my husband that he would be medication free after this surgery and he was in 6 months. He mentioned the Full Bar then but said it wasn't the best treatment for my husband as only the surgery could "cure" his diabetes. He gave my husband the pros and cons of the lap band and the RNY and answered all of his questions too. I still get invites to their post op classes (cooking, fitness, and emotional support classes) and online support groups. I would love to work for Dr. Snyder, that is how much I believe in him and his program and maybe someday, if I end up back in his area, I will. I have seen first hand what happens when these surgeries are done without any follow up care or support, without the proper nutritional education. I have worked with patients who were never told about vitamin supplementation, or even given a clear set of dietary guidelines for post op eating! Seriously. I have worked with people that are never told about the honeymoon phase or that they will have to exercise to maintain their loss! When you have seen this over and over (unfortunately I see it even more here in Alaska), it really makes you appreciate a good physician and a good program, like Dr. Snyder's.
I started seeing commercials for his full bar (yes, they are even showing here in Alaska) and I too was worried that he was moving away from his great surgical program. Then I received the following e-mail. I hope it answers some of your questions and puts aside any concerns.
The e-mail........

Hello to my support group network. As you may or may not know, I keep a close eye on all support group activities and "rumblings," and wanted to give you an update on an issue that has predictably arisen. I would like to take this opportunity to give you my perspective on the Fullbar and my involvement therein.

A lot is being asked and theorized concerning Fullbar, and me. I'd like to set the record straight and make sure that you understand how it works, and how you (kind of!) fit into the process.

I am not a paid, spokesman for the Fullbar. I am its inventor. I was challenged (approximately 5 years ago!!) to find something to help "everyone else." A close friend asked a very provocative question. He noted that bariatric surgery was "great for those who suffer from morbid and severe obesity." But, he asked, "what was I doing for others who struggle from weight concerns?" He challenged me to find something for them.

I went back to the basics-- I know the power of fullness, and I know that virtually all bariatric surgery procedures preserve the very top of the stomach, where the "fullness sensors" lie. These are used to make my patients full with a very small meal. I had to capitalize on this reality, and use it to make any "invention" work. Then, I considered that the success of bariatric surgery lies in using a "tool" for weight loss. I had to use this too.

I wanted anything I invented to stick to my basic rules for any food intake. (1) It had to be a "real food"-- not a jodge-podge of chemicals. (2) It had to be all-natural. (3) I had to show that it worked before I put my name on it. And, (4) I wanted it to be a convenient, portable "tool" in your armamentarium.

I then spent the next 4-plus years developing such an effective tool for hunger-management. I made over 43 versions with the help of an expert, food scientist that I hired. I put it through a 3-month clinical trial-- showing a 42% loss of excess body-weight. I made sure it tasted good, and was "real food." I rented commercial kitchen space from 4 to 6 am on Sunday mornings. I cut, and vacuum-packed innumerable bars in my dining room. (Anyone want to buy a commercial grade vacuum packer?) I paid the neighborhood kids to label and sort thousands of bars for me. I did shelf-life testing and microbial testing. I created a name, packaging, and marketing plan. I spent no one's money but my own to bring this to the public.

I have a dream to give others the benefit of the power of bariatric surgery-- fullness with a small meal-- through the use of the Fullbar tool. And, the consumers showed that they wanted this... that they needed this... and, that it works for them. The response has been notable. It is making waves in the weight-loss category nationally and internationally. I say this not to overstate the impact, but rather to let you know that we have touched on a very important nerve for those interested in weight control. They are interested in getting what you, as bariatric patients, have-- a tool for hunger management and impulse control. I am actually writing a book on this process as we speak. (More on that to come!)

I have partnered with my best friend to expand and improve the business of Fullbar. I have final say on the medical and health realities we work with in the company. We have a number of additional products and programs that will be rolled out in the next few years and I am pleased at the safe and ethical work we are doing. We are constantly testing and validating any and all claims we make. I take my reputation very seriously, as you may recall!! Working with Fullbar is no exception.

So, I have heard a number of questions asked in support group, and want to address them here.
(1) Dr. Snyder said "Weight loss programs and products do not work-- that is why bariatric surgery is a reasonable option for me. Why is he now saying that people should try his Fullbars?" Great question. Simple answer-- Fullbar is not for you! The success in the morbidly and severely obese population of any weight-loss modality is about 5% over 5 years. The Fullbar has never been considered to be useful in this patient sub-set. I never mix my practice and Fullbar. (No Fullbar promo materials or samples are to be found in the patient areas of my office.) I am targeting helping different populations with both bariatric surgery and Fullbar. I can effectively help each attain hunger-management and weight-loss control-- but through very different means. Nowhere on any of our sites (see www.fullbar.com and www.denverbariatrics.com ) do we promote Fullbar use for morbidly obese people. I do not believe it will help them durably lose weight. It is for "everyone else."

(2) I am afraid that Dr. Snyder will retire when Fullbar takes off. I have no intention of leaving my practice. I have built the dominant bariatric surgery program in the region, and we are now nationally-recognized. We are helping people from around the world. Those involved with my program have worked tirelessly to make our program as safe, effective, and humane as we can. EVERYONE works well-beyond what would be reasonable in any other practice to help as many people as we can. We never have an eye towards streamlining--- we always have an eye towards "what more can we do to help." I am honored to be a part of this. I have worked too hard and given too much of myself to ever consider walking away. It is what I do. It is a huge part of who I am. It grounds me to be able to be a part of people's life transformations. Without my bariatric practice, I would be very sad. Simply put, I am blessed to be a part of your lives and I would never take that for granted.

(3) What is Dr. Snyder going to make, to help us do better? I have a number of products and programs in development that may well help you utilize your bariatric tools better. As always, I will need to test them to make sure that they are safe and effective for you. But, rest assured, I am always working to help make what you have work even better-- whether it is by expanding our office, program, and support-group networks... or, by trying to create more tools for you. I will make sure that you always have access to whatever the state-of-the- art is in the bariatric world. I am not one to rest and let things just stay the same. That is why you chose me as your surgeon and I will not let you down.

So, I hope that allays your fears and gives you a greater insight into where I am and how Fullbar fits into the grand scheme of things. I invite your insights, help, and thoughts at any time. I am still always available by e-mail, pager, cell phone, smoke-signals.. whatever. I am still your doctor, your biggest fan, and your support. It is an honor to be a part of your lives and I will not let you down.

Be well and thanks for listening,
MASnyder, MD
Michael A. Snyder, MD, FACS, PC

read more and order full bar here!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

gee - this surgeon seems to be the guy to go to! He's in colorado, right? (i am) If my insurance approves...i am SO going to him.

Anonymous said...

Wow thanks for this post. I am scheduled to have surgery with Dr Snyder in February and those commercials were starting get me a little freaked out. Nobody really wants to see their Dr. on tv 3 weeks before surgery selling something he said wouldn't work for them.