Saturday, July 28, 2007

My Grandmother Is Dying



My Grandmother is 93. I guess that is a long time to live. She has only been in a nursing home for 3 years. She was very independent till just recently. I wish she could meet my Lilith. I think she would love her. I feel so sad when I remember how she tried so hard to teach me to sew and I just wasn't interested. Now I will not be able to make costumes for my daughter like she did for me. All of them lost in a move, so sad. I have photos and memories of them however but I wish I had them here to give to my daughter. My grandmother was always kind to me. She never said or did anything hurtful or mean to me. I remember sitting on her lap when I was little and she would whistle songs to me. She told me how she practiced whistling when she was little because the boys said girls couldn't whistle. She played old country music, and insisted that Rudolph Valentino was quite the screen lover. I remember she always had a garden and could make anything grow. I don't have that talent. She was the one that insisted that my mother let me keep the kitten that followed me to her house as we were moving to Colorado, (that kitten (Bozo) lived to be 21 and I loved him dearly, he was my only friend when we moved)even taking me to buy a litterbox, food dishes, a collar, and a leash. I taught him to walk on it too. She made me little coats and sweaters for him to wear on our walks. She gave me my first barbies and made clothes for them too. I will miss my grandmother.

1 comment:

Melting Mama said...

What a woman.